Skip to main content

弁財天 Benzaiten, the Prayers of Prostitutes, and Snakes in a Shrine

Hidden Underground Snake, 池田弁財天 Ikeda Benzaiten
Today  I went on a search for the underworld that is (not so) hidden in Japan. This search involves prostitutes and their secret shrines. And the furtive 遊女の祈願 prayers harlots say on the day of the snake to stay free of disease and wash their money.

All I had were some clues from a mysterious local who we can call deepthroat. My man on the inside said that there was a place hidden nearby where two snakes would turn piles of shit into gold. What sort of miracle is this, I wondered. Then he went on to explain the miracle of the Hindu deity Saraswati and her Japanese Shinto/Buddhist mutant cousin known as Benzaiten.

Benzaiten symbol in Bujinkan Hombu Dojo


I didn't know it when i started my search, but Hatsumi Sensei had just added the same symbol to the Hombu dojo a few days ago. And I couldn't turn down a search for evidence of the 平潟 遊郭 Hiragata red light district. Even if people say it no longer existed. Something was leading me to explore.

The train ride was easy, one stop on the 常磐 Jōban rapid. Then I exited the station into the neighborhood. The heat and humidity have been overwhelming. So i wanted to orient myself quickly so as not to add to my trek. Of course I couldn't go around shouting, "Hey, does anyone know where the prostitutes hang out?"

I found the closest landmark on the map my source had given me. The Keiyo gas building. A nice woman told me I was on the wrong side of the tracks. On the other side, a friendly policeman looked at a map with me, but he couldn't help me. I knew I was in trouble when he tried to stop random people walking by to ask them for directions. Doesn't anybody know where the whores are?

You see, the feminine creative energy represented by Saraswati, 弁財天 Benzaiten or her Shinto sister Ichikishimahime, is often an undercurrent in people's lives. And even though this energizes our training, Japanese culture and humanity, it is dangerous to those in power. So it remains in dark, quiet places. Or sometimes in hidden plain sight.

The heat was getting to me. I became distracted with other sightseeing. I let go of trying to find any working girl holy sites today. Then, like a mirage seen through the hot and steamy city, I found myself passing through a crack in the city. Through a love tunnel of 鳥居 torii. To be reborn.

Here I was at 池田弁財天 Ikeda Benzaiten. Surrounded by snakes.
池田弁財天 Ikeda Benzaiten


The tunnel passes tightly between two buildings. The torii are very short so that you must bow as you shuffle along in their shadows. On the other side I could hear flowing water.
Torii tunnel of love


When I could finally stand upright, I found myself in a sacred space hidden in the city. This hidden garden was surrounded by flowing water and a koi pond. Benzaiten is the only female of the 7 lucky gods of Japan, and she is associated with flowing qualities in water, the flow of music, wealth, or flowing and eloquent speech. Anything nagare.

Inner Shrine and Garden


I found an old man named Enemoto tending the fish. He took little notice of me at first. But this place felt like some body's private garden so I asked him if it was OK to enter. He nodded with a smile.
Enemoto san


There isn't much obvious evidence of the red light district remaining. Even though this space could still be in action to help bless prostitutes, keep them safe and free of disease, today it was quiet. I felt at home and I sat on one of the benches.
Another Past Hidden Underneath?


Saraswati symbolizes the essential feminine creative act of giving birth to new life and knowledge. She, or the snake symbol associated with her consort are shown with a white color to evoke a pure heart, mind, and character.
Snakes!


Enemoto san finished his prayers and left me alone. I felt very relaxed like I could sit here all day in this garden of feminine energy and burning incense. The koi splashed in the pond.
Saying Prayers


A very old woman arrived. She sat on the bench across from me with a big smile and she immediately started talking to me in Japanese. I didn't understand anything she said. I told her that I didn't, but that didn't stop her flow.

She looked hot, so I offered her my fan. She said, no, thank you. This stopped her speech.

She got up and lit prayer candles and incense. I decided to leave the private garden to her and I walked back out of the love tunnel of torii. She looked at me with sparkling eyes as I left, and I bumped my head on one of the low gates.

Benzaiten is a complex symbol in Japan. A mix of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Shintoism all in one. Benzaiten is the elder sister of Enma-ten 閻魔天 lord of the underworld. Like everything I discover here in this culture, there are many layers hidden beneath if you are prepared to look underground.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japan Report One 令和5年

Every Bujinkan trip I make to Japan feels like a gift. And I always share that with you all in my Japan reports. This trip, I decided to video a lot. Like every day. So there will be quite a few of these. The only issue is that it takes me time to edit all of this video, so these Japan reports may spread out into next year. The first video is here:  Japan Report One 令和5年 The first day of any Bujinkan trip to Japan starts with a marathon. 20 hours of travel by Plane train, and automobile. Also, a lot of walking with a heavy backpack up and down stairs, through airports and train stations, and of course to the Honbu Dojo! Because I’m crazy, I arrived at the airport and went straight to Noguchi Sensei’s class. The class was smallish, maybe 20 people. I was a little shaky on my feet so I slammed some milk tea to get my energy back up. I partnered with Mario From Croatia. Noguchi began with 中伝之捌型 Chūden no Sabaki Gata from 高木揚心流 Takagi Yoshin Ryū. He put a lot of focus into what the opposit

Bujinkan Daikomyosai Party and Training Themes from Japan

What are the current Bujinkan Themes? For my second week of Japan training, I begin with a visit to 上野東照宮 Ueno Tōshōgū. This shrine was built in 1627, and enshrines Tokugawa Ieyasu. I have visited many times, but they did an extensive remodel a few years ago. This was my first time going beyond the 唐門 Karamon and into the grounds. The entire 本殿 Honden is covered in gold leaf and looks spectacular with the gingko leaves fluttering down around me. Michael Glenn at 上野東照宮 Ueno Tōshōgū Later that night, I arrived a bit early for Nagase Sensei’s class. He had moved the class time back 45 minutes so I took the opportunity to review my notes from the prior class. He has been working with 十方折衝 juppō sesshō and the directions for 天地人 Tenchijin and the sanshin within it. He described many aspects of Tenchijin. He would control his opponent at three points, high, middle, and low. He told us the Ten direction is 天照大御神 Amaterasu ōmikami. The Chi direction is 国常立尊 Kunitokotachi no mi

The Sound of Bujinkan 変化 Henka

One Friday night back in the old Honbu Dojo, Hatsumi Sensei moved to a very high level of training right from the start. After he asked someone to demo, he immediately went into counter attacks using his fingertips. And he said to be playful. Hatsumi Sensei painted and hung a scroll in the corner of the dojo. He did this every year to express the yearly theme. This year it was 神韻武導 Shin'in Budō . You can read this as Budō of exceptional artistry. Or, when you look at the characters for Shin'in, it could be a Budō that expresses the sound of the heart, the soul, or even  the kami. 神韻武導 Shin'in Budō, Bujinkan Honbu. photo Michael Glenn   Earlier that afternoon, I had made a pilgrimage of sorts to visit 矢切の渡し Yagiri-no-Watashi. The ferry that has been taking passengers across the Edo river for nearly 400 years. The Tokugawa shogunate did not build bridges over rivers to protect Edo. Ferry boats leading to the highway were strictly controlled, but ferries for farmers who had fa