Skip to main content

Kokoro no Maai

One of my students had a question the other night.  The answer to the question may make a big difference in his life.  But it requires dropping preconceptions.  Finding the appropriate kokoro no maai.

His question had to do with an idea from Hatsumi Sensei.  The idea is that you should become zero.  Don't be a target.  Erase yourself.  That way anyone who seeks to do harm will not find a target to land their ill intent.

His question of me, was how to do this?  And he meant in a practical way.  Because he had sharks circling in his life.  Ready to bloody the water at any moment.  My answer to him came from my own experiences.

間合い

I said one way to not be a target was to not be there when something bad happens.  This is a deep idea.  The strategies to achieve it include not hanging around a troubled area or with troubled people.  If you spend your time with people who are in conflict or who seek conflict, you will most likely join them.

If you spend your time in a location where bad things happen, then your odds of being a target increase.

If, circumstances require you to be with troubled people or in troubled areas, first ask why exactly are you required to be there?  Because often you are not.  Often it is a block in your own perceptions that prevents you seeing alternatives.

Then if you see no alternative, seek to disappear as a target.  One way to achieve this is through simple friendliness or giving.  A smile can be very disarming.

For example,  one night I found myself walking my normal route through a very large and empty parking lot.  I had made made this same walk for two years with no problems.  Suddenly maybe 20 meters from my path I heard a yell,

"Yo! Where are you going?"

I turned and saw a guy sitting on the hood of his car.  I kept walking.

"Hey!  I'm talking to you!"

I looked again.  The guy slid off the hood.  Another guy got out of the car and started my direction.  The driver started the car.

I made an instant decision.  I turned toward them without breaking my quick stride.  I walked directly up to the speaker.  Both of them looked ready to jump me but they hesitated.  I extended my hand with a smile.

"Hello, my name is Michael."

Confusion.  This wasn't part of their plan.  He shook my hand.

"How you doin'?"
"I'm good.  Just got off work.  What are you guys up to?"
"Just Chillin'."
"Cool.  Well I gotta run.  See you later."

And I turned away, walking with my purposeful pace.  When I got some distance away, I glanced back.  They seemed confused, but weren't following.

Had I ignored them initially, they were certainly coming after me.  And I wasn't going to outrun them.  If I had responded by puffing up, I would have had at least 3 opponents who were possibly armed.  When I went to meet them, they were very edgy.  I looked all three in the eye and they were quite prepared to jump me.  I think my actions were confusing and disarming.

Context also plays a role.  You can be around the most crime ridden area and there are still ice cream trucks and children playing.  Old people walking down the block.  They are (relatively) safe because they are part of the fabric of the neighborhood.  Mesh with that fabric and you will be (relatively) safe.

If you find yourself in actual combat then I will leave you with this idea from Hatsumi Sensei:

"Give the opponent the feeling to cut, draw him in.  And then your movement will disappear.  You have to disappear from your opponent's perception.  This is not something that can be taught.  You have to find it for yourself."
Maybe this is the Maai of Zero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...