Skip to main content

How to Notice the Big Changes in a Small Breeze

Michael Glenn under the cherry tree, 新宿御苑 Shinjuku Gyoen
Last year I had one of the most profound experiences of my life. Yet it was really nothing unique. In fact, many poets and artists have made note of it in their work. And this experience informs some core ideas in the Bujinkan.

I was standing under the cherry trees. A light breeze fluttered across my face. Then I was showered with falling petals.

I felt blessed and melancholy at the same time. Such is the power of sakura. In Japan this reverence for the signs of change is a deep subject of poetry, art, religion, and our own Bujinkan training.

This was on my mind when I taught 桐之一葉 Kiri no Hito Ha in a recent class. I wrote about this in my Bujinkan training notes, but I felt even more reflective after class. The name of this kata gets to the heart of the subtle signs of change.

Hatsumi Sensei tells us we should know the verse from which the name of this kata is formed:
桐一葉落ちて天下の秋を知る
One leaf of the Paulownia tree falls to earth/ The inevitable winds of change have come.
This verse comes to us from a classical Kabuki drama, 桐一葉 Kiri Hitto Ha written by 坪内逍遥 Tsubouchi Shoyo. The true story of a retainer of Toyoyomi Hideyoshi,  named 片桐且元 Katagiri Katsumoto, who wrote this haiku after being driven into exile just before the siege of Osaka in 1614.

But this idea is much older. We even find it all the way back in 139 BC. Where it is found in some Chinese writing known as 淮南子 Huáinánzǐ. Here you can find the clues to "knowing autumn has come by seeing a single Paulownia leaf fall."

Beyond noticing a subtle change to the seasons, what does this tell us about combat?

It tells you how to read the attack of your adversary and how to recognize the small changes that precede the big movement or big changes of his attack. But it also suggests that when you yourself make small changes, they add up to something bigger. This is the 十方折衝 juppo sessho I reflected to my students. It is a good tool to plan for chaos.

The next kata in this series is 落花 Rakka, or falling petals. Flowers are powerful symbols of change. They have a magnificent arrival with the season, but fall just at their peak.

Then the scattered petals lie on the ground and are blown this way and that. They are crushed under our feet as we pass through their soft, quiet, shower.  Hatsumi Sensei says we should "see the beauty in their determination as they fall to their death."

This is the spirit of muto dori. Can a swordsman kill a falling cherry blossom? Enter in with this determination and you will know the meaning of 捨て身 sutemi.

This is how to find 詒変 ihen in training. It is a profound look at change, as Longfellow described in his poem, Rain in Summer,
With vision clear,
Sees forms appear and disappear,
In the perpetual round of strange,
Mysterious change; 
And so you will blossom again when the season is right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...