Skip to main content

Kyoketsu Shōge: Japan Report Nine 令和6年


I didn’t have time for any tourist stuff today because I was doing three classes in a row. I only include two of them in the video so that it can be a reasonable length. First up was Nagase Sensei and he surprised us with 距跋渉毛 Kyoketsu Shōge.

I was really surprised that there were only three of us students in Nagase’s class. But he maintained a great spirit and we got to study obscure things that don’t often come up in Bujinkan training. He began with taijutsu against two punches, with a focus on control of the second punch. But then he transitioned quickly to 十手 jūtte and connected these techniques to using your tsuka for control. 

Nagase Sensei will check or stop the second attack. But he really is preventing any future attack. He will check the foot, check the other hand, or check the opponent’s weapon. He uses his own feet and hands to do this, but also his position.

Next, he focused on 隠剣術 onken jutsu. He explained to the translator that this was 隠す剣 kakusu ken, or hidden blade techniques. He focused on two special kamae for hiding blades. But if you have ever trained with him, you know he loves to use hidden shuriken.

距跋渉毛 Kyoketsu Shōge with Nagase Sensei

Since the dojo was empty we had the space to study 距跋渉毛 Kyoketsu Shōge. He began to teach 投げ縄術 nage nawa jutsu. I have done this plenty at home, but he shared some details that I had never heard before. He even took off his obi and showed us how we can solo train nage nawa! Nagase Sensei said that was our homework. I can’t wait to try that at home.

He showed us how to do the 振型 furi gata with rope and ring of the Kyoketsu Shōge using the proper grip. Then he taught us how to spin and pivot in all directions. And during the furi he held the blade in his left hand, and the coils of rope with only his little finger.

Nagase Sensei shot the iron ring out to strike the opponent. Then he whipped it back and caught it with his foot. I was very surprised when he used his foot to shoot it back out as the opponent tried to close distance. Then he looped the Kyoketsu Shōge around the attacker’s head and did a 頸投 kubi nage.

Noguchi Sensei does 人略の巻 jin ryaku no maki

After a coffee break, I returned to the dojo for class with Noguchi Sensei. I arrived early to meditate and work on my training notes. Yes, I still use pen and paper to write out the details of my training in Japan. I find this is good for my own memory because the act of writing makes me think about the training more deeply. A strange side effect of this is that I can remember the pages even without having to open the notebook!

Noguchi Sensei’s class was also on the small side, with about ten students. But he still gave us his full energy. He decided to teach from the 人略の巻 jin ryaku no maki.

I don’t know if it’s his knees or his hips, but something kept him from doing the 坐り型 suwari gata, so he did standing variations of 一撃 ichi geki, 抑込 osae komi, and 腕折 ude ori.

Next during 金縛 Kanashibari, he demonstrated an often overlooked, but critical aspect of this choke defense. This is known as 眼光⼀閃 gankō issen, which is sudden flash of the eyes to freeze the attacker. Hatsumi Sensei once told us,

The eyes emit 殺気 sakki. You’ve got to be able to stare him down. Looks very simple as a technique, but you’ve got to have a lot of spiritual power (精神 seishin) to carry it off.

He continued to say that it’s only once you can do things like this that you can do 不動金縛 Fudō Kanashibari. And it is the entrance into 遠当之術 tōate no jutsu. It is rare to train this type of kiai, so I appreciate Noguchi Sensei for that.

He continued to show very painful details for 天狗捕 Tengu Dori, 締脈 Ketsumyaku, 体締 Tai Jime, 地獄落 Jigoku Otoshi. These are battlefield techniques and my training partner and I took great care to not cause injury.

When he got to 虚倒 Kyotō, he showed a terrible henka driving the opponent’s knee straight down into the ground. He did this by first striking sai with his elbow. Then putting his own knee on the back of the opponent’s knee to drop to the ground. Devastating.

伏虎一 Huko ichi, and 伏虎二 Huko ni are variations of the same principle. You pummel the opponent with rapid strikes. One right up the middle to 鈴 suzu or 金的 kinteki. But the implication of the kata being named tiger is that you claw, rip, and tear. Not a fun feeling when Noguchi Sensei comes up from underneath like that.

I think we finished with 押虚 Ōgyaku, and 頭捕 Zu Dori. But that was my third class in a row so I was sore and sweaty. My head was swimming from all of the great details from each teacher.

Right at the end of class, after we vacuumed and cleaned the dojo, Noguchi Sensei awarded a menkyo. I won’t say who he gave it to because it’s not for me to announce that. But I’m not sure I’ve ever witnessed Noguchi Sensei giving menkyo before. Maybe it signals more signs of change going forward in the Bujinkan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...