Skip to main content

狸寝入り Tanuki Neiri no Jutsu: Sleeping Tanuki Technique

photo by rumpleteaser
Sometimes the simplest strategies or tactics are the most effective. One day my teacher, Peter asked me to be a spy, and I used a strategy that any child understands.  Hatsumi Sensei calls this tactic "tanuki nemuri." And it was very effective. I got the all the information from the target and then some! He literally volunteered information that would expose him.

A tanuki is a masked animal like a raccoon, yet big and stocky like a badger, and is known to fake being dead when surprised... because of this, the idiom "tanuki neiri" [literally "fall into a tanuki's sleep"] means to feign sleep.

The mission I was tasked with was reconnaissance and information gathering.  OK, it wasn't secret agent stuff, but I approached it with professionalism and as part of my overall training. Basically it involved one of my teacher's ex-students.  He had only trained with Peter briefly, and never made it beyond 7th kyu or so. Well, some years later, Peter received several reports that this guy was teaching and running his own training group. The reports included stories of dangerous training that sent students to the hospital. Since Peter was the senior Bujinkan instructor in the region, and had once had this guy as a student, he felt some responsibility to check into this.

The guy was training in a park, and Peter felt he couldn't just walk up himself, because this guy would recognize him and cover his activities.

All I had was the name of a park in another town. This was in the old days, before the Internet and Google. I needed a strategy. I decided the best way to get information was to pretend to want to become the guy's student. I thought it would look suspicious to just walk up out of nowhere and ask to be his student. How could I make it look innocent?

What do people do in parks? Besides Ninja training? Picnics, exercise, walk their dogs... wait, I have a dog that loves walks in the park! I put her in the car and we were off.

After an hour driving, my dog was very excited when we started circling the park. The park was crowded with families. I drove around the perimeter and quickly located the "ninjas."

My dog put her nose to the ground and we walked all over the park. As she sniffed the ground I casually watched the ninjas go through their taihenjutsu drills.  I allowed my dog to slowly find her way closer and closer.  We paused under a nearby tree.

Once I determined who the teacher was (the only black belt, and giving instruction), I made my interest more obvious.  I began actively staring and edging closer.

He caught my stare. At first he ignored me. But I edged closer.  The next time he looked my way, I asked a very dumb question, "What kind of karate are you guys doing?"

He seemed pleased to answer, "It's not karate. We are training ninjutsu."  "Oh wow! You guys are ninjas? I wanna be a ninja... How do I be a Ninja?"

Once he started talking, I couldn't shut him up. He told me all about their "deadly" art. They were training to be assassins.  They practiced invisibility and stealth. I made a comment about their "cool" shoes and asked where I could get ninja shoes.

Things got interesting when I asked him how he started teaching. He said that he had lived in Japan, and he was the personal student of an old Japanese man who was the "last" Ninja. The old man had given him a test where he tried to kill him with a sword. I asked him his teachers name, and he said Hatsumi Sensei. He said, after he passed this test he was given a licence to teach.

I was all, "Wow, so you are like a black belt? Are you licenced to kill or something?" He said that he is a 10th degree black belt.

Tanuki-neiri is said to have its origin in the days when no distinction was made between the tanuki and the mujina or badger, and the latter was believed to have been unable to see or hear during the daytime and therefore likely to just sit tight and try not to attract too much attention to itself.

Today the most common place to find people playing possum is in crowded commuter trains and subways, where younger people lucky enough to have found seats feign sleep to avoid making eye contact with elderly commuters to whom social convention dictates they give up their seat. Along with both its less common variations, tanuki and tanuki-ne, the idiom is not used as it`s English equivalent "play possum” to mean “feign ignorance."

I knew I had him on that point. Back in those days, there weren't very many Judans (in fact, maybe only the Japanese Shihan), and my teacher certainly would have known about this.

I watched their class for awhile.  My dog was bored by this time and was napping under the tree.  I soon had to move her because, to my amazement, they started throwing shuriken and shooting arrows at the tree. This seemed hazardous with all the children and families running around the park.

Most of his students appeared to be teenagers from the neighborhood. After they were done, the guy told me he could rank me up to 9th dan, one rank below his, if I started training with him. I acted excited, but drove home bewildered.


Hatsumi Sensei says, that humans will show their true nature when around a "sleeping" person. He says, "If you pretend to be sleeping you can see to the bottom of the enemy's heart and intentions." And that, "you just cannot win if you do not have this skill of playing dumb."


In the end, this guy seemed out of touch with reality. When Peter eventually confronted him, he claimed he had an evil twin brother that sometimes impersonates him. He claimed to have gotten his rank in the mail through a home study course. Then he legally changed his name and started wearing strange military garb and saying he was in the special forces. Peter informed the authorities about the guys odd and dangerous activities. Over the years, from time to time, the guy would show up at some Bujinkan event seeking rank from different instructors, and Peter would try to let everyone know to be careful with him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...