Skip to main content

Born to Fly: Japan Report One 令和7年

I titled this post Born to Fly because I sometimes feel like I am compelled to fly to Japan. It feels like a second home. But I also benefit from all of the wonderful Bujinkan training, friends and teachers there.

This latest Japan Report video is accompanied by「Born to fly」from アキSONGBIRD. When I arrived in Noda-shi for a class with Furuta Sensei, I noticed some changes. I walked to my quick bird watching spot in さざんか公園. And I saw the pedestrian bridge over 県道3号 was closed for repair or demolition. Also the パチンコマルキン (pachinko Marukin) is no more.  

Class with Furuta Sensei

Furuta Sensei began with a type of 打払型 uchi harai gata. He struck the opponent in 朝霞 asagasumi. But there was a hidden, hooking finger strike down into the throat.

During this exchange he focused on changing levels. He used cross steps to enter and occupy space. And the “body lean” to occupy the gaps in the opponent’s kamae.

He had the attacker deliver a second punch. And Furuta Sensei used a cross step to hook and stretch the opponent out. It resulted in a 逆武者捕 gyaku musha dori and a locked shoulder. He told us not to take the arm, but take the space.

He opened more space by sweeping aside the second punch. He leaned out of range to sweep it aside, then leaned back into the gap that created. It was like he was hiding in the gaps in the opponent’s attack.


Furuta Sensei called these leans “taihenjutsu”. This means the art of changing the body. These body transformations allow for escapes and counters.

It also creates opportunity for 虚実 kyojitsu. He exposed his own 脇 waki to draw an attack. Then dropped his elbow to parry.

Furuta Sensei then changed to 半棒術 hanbōjutsu 基本 kihon. First with a kind of 四方捌き shihō sabaki. He told us to move our body while the stick stays put. He used the word 吊るす tsurusu, to describe the way the stick remains suspended in space.

Then you might release one end of the hanbō for a long range strike. He explored this against a sword. He used 3-4 strikes with 八文字振り hachimonji furi.

Next, he shared some similar ideas with the 六尺棒 rokushakubō. He had a fascinating way of palming the end of the bō to remain neutral and uncommitted. With this technique any strike became possible in the moment. I guess the stick was “Born to Fly” because he demoed 棒投 bō nage.

Another neutral position came when he put the bō in a floating 起て “tate” position. This preceded a downward strike like 面打 men uchi. But because of its zero quality, the bō could fall on any axis. This would be for deception or necessity if there were multiple opponents.

My latest Japan training trip was off to a great start. I always arrive with plans of things to do or see. And I even prepare questions I hope to ask the teachers. But my favorite experiences are the unplanned. And there were many which I will share in the next posts.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...