Skip to main content

Tiny Insects: Japan Report Two 令和7年


When I travel to Japan it seems like I race from class to class. Or, I race from train to train through Tokyo to explore the historic sites of Japan and our Bujinkan art. But here I stopped the race to enjoy training with Nagase Sensei and think about tiny insects.

I slowed down for 考え事 kangaegoto with deep thoughts about a class I had with Hatsumi Sensei. He demonstrated evading an attack to the outside. Then Soke used his shoulders to support the attack briefly before dropping them. This allowed him to secretly take 子殺 ko goroshi. The opponent never saw it, but he yelped in pain.

Tiny Insects

Hatsumi Sensei then shared a lesson about あも一寸の玉 虫 amo issun no tama  mushi. This is a a gokui found in 高木揚心流 Takagi Yoshin Ryū. It has to do with the relationship of the strong and weak. The strong seek to control through strength. But Soke suggests we control lightly so we don’t get “stung.”

あも一寸の玉 虫 painting by Hatsumi Sensei
The concept of even tiny insects having a soul has an ura and omote. Back during the 鎌倉時代, Kamakura era; 1185–1333, 北条重時 Hōjō Shigetoki wrote 極楽寺殿御消息 Gokurakuji dono goshōsoku. These are messages from Gokurakuji palace explaining the ethos of a samurai. In it he advised, 一寸の虫にも五分の魂 Issun no mushi ni mo gobu no tamashī. This means even small tiny insects have a soul.

Maybe this is why Hatsumi Sensei said that amo issun no tama mushi is the kamae of the heart. This is both an encouragement and a warning. If you are the weaker opponent, you may find the spirit to fight on. But, the opposite is that the weak have a spirit and will to survive. They may be underestimated to surprise the strong with daring, unconventional tactics.


Training with Nagase Sensei

After my meditation on tiny insects, I went to class with Nagase Sensei. When I arrived at the dojo, he greeted me warmly and immediately invited me to his house for shuriken training.

Nagase started class with a waza similar to 霞雷 karai. During this, he focused on plus and minus, inside and outside, heaven and earth. All of these were connected through the person. As you may remember, I have described his ideas on 天地人 tenchijin during other visits to Japan.

He told us that all of his techniques are connected in an infinity. He said that he’s been training for 46 years. During this time he has collected many data points. He described those points in the form of inputs to his body. He emphasized that it wasn’t his mind that held this data, but his body.

I definitely experienced some of that data. He gave me some training input in the form of pain that I won’t forget. Sometimes doing ukemi in his class feels impossible. He applies the technique in a very intense way. He only releases you to take ukemi right at the break point.

Nagase Sensei is aware of this. And I have to trust him to release me at the right moment. So I accept the pain and add it to my own data collection.

Then as he progressed with the form, he emphasized kamae like 左右の一文字 sayū no ichimonji where both hands act as 大小 daishō. And he spent a lot of time with 攻勢之構 kōsei no kamae. Each kamae provides its own interpretation of the form.

The kōsei henka that he did finished like 雪耀 setsuyaku. The ukemi was impossible because he locked up both hands and lifted us to the heavens. We had to trust him to release us.

During this he also wrapped his 帯 obi around a wrist. He compared the length of the ends of his obi to the length of a tsuka on sword. This led into the progression from taijutsu, to bōjutsu, to kenjutsu. You might lock up the opponent’s wrist with a sageo or trap it with your tsuka.

Nagase Sensei finished class with some 半棒術 hanbōjutsu variations. He kept telling us to use 地 chi power. The hanbō was touching the earth and he used that as a fulcrum point for leverage on the wrist.

As usual I had a great time in his class. I look forward to the shuriken training at his house. Please check Rojodojo for the next Japan Reports.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...