Skip to main content

Why do we wear tabi in the Bujinkan? And should you?

I'm not afraid of controversy.   This blog tackles the tough questions.  Questions sure to inflame the keyboard martial artists that troll the various forums.  One question that repeatedly flames up all over the interwebs is:
Why do Bujinkan members wear tabi?
I know I crossed a line.  After asking a question like that there is no going back.  If you have been hiding under a cheeseburger and don't know what tabi are, from wikipedia:

Tabi (足袋?) are traditional Japanese socks. Ankle high and with a separation between the big toe and other toes, they are worn by both men and women with zori, geta, and other traditional thonged footwear.
What are some good reasons to wear tabi in Bujinkan training?  I made a list of possible reasons:

  1. If you wanna be a ninja, dress the part.  In America, tabi are all ninja baby.
  2. When you read those ninja books from the '80's it is easier to follow the foot diagrams.
  3. If you are caught by the enemy (the cops) wearing tabi gives the insanity plea more weight.
  4. Wearing tabi will throw off trackers looking for Nikes or Skechers.
  5. For foot flexibility, also from wikipedia:  "many workers prefer them for the softness of their soles. This gives wearers tactile contact with the ground and lets them use their feet more agilely than rigid-soled shoes allow: for instance, people who traverse girders on construction sites like to know what is under their feet, and craft practitioners such as carpenters and gardeners additionally use their feet as if they were an extra pair of hands, for example to hold objects in place."
  6. It is the custom in the Japanese dojo.
  7. It's easier to be stealthy.
  8. You want to overpay someone trying to make money off the Bujinkan by ordering silly shoes from a ninja website.
  9. You can catch weeds between your toes that camouflage your feet and legs.
  10. Throw shuriken with your feet!
  11. Chicks dig it.  Girls can't resist a man in tabi.
  12. Can be used to sight or cradle your blow gun.
  13. Helps you get into the right mindset for class.
  14. Sitting in seiza is way easier.
There are many reasons to wear tabi.  Make up your own.  Or stubbornly cling to practicality and miss out on the Ninja fantasy.  It's funny, most people in the Bujinkan refuse to wear the shinobi outfit, opting instead for a simple black karate or judo gi.  But those same people will wear tabi.  But there are some that are even embarrassed to wear the black gi, calling it "black pajamas."

I say wear tabi with pride.  Or you can try to remove everything Japanese from the art and be left with what?  In the list above I included my own reasons for wearing tabi.  See if you can guess what they are.  One last reason is that after so many years of training, I actually find tabi very comfortable and even prefer them to western shoes at times.


Comments

  1. Too funny! Thanks for sharing the answers to this ago old question lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you see the humor in this! It always amazes me how serious people try to make things. I wonder if they've never met Hatsumi Sensei. He has a wonderful sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehehe!
    You forgot: "to keep your feet warm" and "to make sliding a bit more easy" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or my favorite reason: avoiding fungal and bacterial infections introduced by 100 sweaty feet sharing the same mats.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...