Skip to main content

Training With Nagato Sensei

Michael Glenn in a mirror, Bujinkan Hombu Dojo just after Nagato's class
Beautiful spring day here in Chiba. Very warm.

Yesterday was blustery, but not cold. I haven't had a break from training since I arrived here. 2-3 classes every day starts to make me physically and mentally exhausted. So I was determined to take a break yesterday.

I decided the night before. And I woke up still convinced I was taking a break. Then I found myself looking at training schedules. Ok... maybe one class.

But which one. I couldn't decide. So I flipped a ten yen coin (similar size and weight to a quarter.) Heads I was going to the first afternoon class, tails I would not. It came up tails.

I put the coin away and went to class anyway. What is wrong with me? I need the break. I'm going to get injured.

So I went to Nagato Sensei's class, thinking I would find a relaxed training partner so that we could train safe and gentle. Before I found anyone, Peter Crocoll grabbed me.

Peter likes to train safe and gentle. He has been training so long, that experience has taught him that you learn more when you are not injured. And that bashing and smashing each other is really not what the teachers here are teaching.

Nagato asked for someone to start the class off. He wasn't looking in my direction so I didn't step forward. But I was body checked from behind out onto the mat. It was Peter! He had shoved me out there in the middle.

So much for being an easy class. I showed the first thing that came to mind, which was 行違 Yuki chigai, since we had been working on this in my class at home recently. Nagato had me repeat it a few times. So at least I got to throw Peter around in front of everyone.

So, as you may know, Nagato then uses the person who demos the technique as his uke. I prepared myself to be worked over. But Nagato was quite gentle.

Since this technique is like an ambush to the uke, I was confused at times whether he wanted me to attack. I know he showed at least one counter.

Nagato had some really interesting variations on catching the opponent's rhythm as you walk past. Some had kamae like a helicopter, picking up the uke's collar. Another henka had you reverse to walk backwards to catch his hand in a really subtle way.

I was surprised when he asked me to now show another technique. I had no clue what to do, so I just motioned for Peter to grab my lapel. Again, didn't wait for an attack, I just used Peter's elbow on the grabbing hand to affect his balance, Then covered his opposite side, before picking that arm up for an omote.

Nagato asked me to do it again. I did, with some refinement. The he said do it again. A few times. So I did it again. and again. Each time exploring henka. I was flowing along ok, then Nagato started counting. Each Henka I did, he counted, "One, Two, Three…" I'm not sure how many but I was throwing Peter all over the place.

I received a number of compliments afterwards from other people in the class, but I'm not sure what was going on there. Peter said Nagato was giving me a chance at revenge  for him having pushed me out there. Maybe Nagato did enjoy seeing Peter get thrown around a bit.

So again, I expected Nagato to work me over, but he did not. He did a variety of henka, trapping the grabbing hand with his elbow, receiving a punch and ending with a hon gyaku. It was a bit of a blur for me.

After class I received more congratulations and compliments. I said thank you. Then it was time for the next class. I didn't need to flip a coin this time.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...