Skip to main content

A Bujinkan formula K(p+t)(s)=K, where S is Shizen

When I was a kid, I played ninja.  I lurked around my neighborhood, and ambushed my little brother.  I was goofy and unaware that Hatsumi Sensei was also playing in his early visits to the U.S.  during that same time.  I now know that this sense of play is what drives the art we study as Bujinkan.  Let me use a playfully silly example to explore this:

A Bujinkan formula: K(p+t)(s)=K

Let's ignore K (ku) for a minute because I'm not sure that can be taught. 
I suggest that: PLAY = SHIZEN.
so p+t=h combined with s OR,


PLAY using TAIJUTSU to produce HENKA from a state of SHIZEN.

If that hurts your brain let's forget it and consider this:

When I was 13 years old, Sensei stated while teaching in America:

My techniques are adaptable to any situation.  It is from improvising action as it flashes into my mind.  My techniques are natural techniques.
Improvisation creates natural techniques.  And now that I am 40, Sensei is still saying play!

Baby animals when they play are learning how to fight and hunt.  Their play is often very amusing to watch.  It is so free and unencumbered by self consciousness.  It is also improvised where anything can and does happen.  This serves them well for a real fight or hunt.  Adult animals keep this spirit alive and react unpredictably when cornered.

The opposite of play is memorization and rehearsal.  This just traps us in our movement and in our own heads.  It creates stifled, robotic action that is easily defeated by unpredictability.  Like an unexpected math test!

Play is something that comes naturally.  You don't need to force it or learn anything to accomplish the state of playing.  In fact, it works best when you just let go.  Or improvise.

Hatsumi Sensei still uses the word PLAY often.  It is not a command so much as a cheer.  It is meant to inspire and embolden.  To re-ignite that spark in our hearts that is alive like a puppy or a child at play.  Maybe that spark arises from K (ku)?

Understand? Good.  SHIZEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behind the Black Gate: Japan Report Eight 令和6年

  黒門 Kuromon: the Black Gate This morning I made my way into Tokyo to visit the 黒門 kuromon, or black gate. This was one of the few structures from 寛永寺 Kan’ei-ji that survived the battle of Ueno (上野戦争, Ueno Sensō). During the Boshin War (戊辰戦争, Boshin Sensō), and the gate marked the spot where the 彰義隊 Shōgitai lost a decisive battle against the Imperial troops. Today it is riddled with bullet holes and cannon scars. The Shōgitai were the last of the Tokugawa Samurai. They had swords, arrows, and spears. But they were no match for the 官軍 kangun, the Imperial army led by 西郷 隆盛 Saigō Takamori, who used Snider rifles and Armstrong Cannons. 黒門の半分見へて春の雨 the Black Gate is only half visible – rain in spring 〜Kobayashi Issa, 1805 My visit to the black gate was marked by the gentle fall of Ginkgo leaves. A quiet peaceful morning helped me reflect on such a fierce battle. Maybe one of the reasons I am allowed to be here was because of this war which led to the end of the Tokugawa ...

Secrets of 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko

三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko photo by Michael Glenn Since I am a ninja, I am part of a secret society. Secret societies are fun to learn about. One of the most obvious ways into a secret society is through its symbols. I recently stumbled across one mysterious symbol called 三つ鱗 Mitsu Uroko in a place I didn't expect to find it. You have probably seen this symbol. For Legend of Zelda fans it is known as the Triforce. But you may not know that the creator of this game, Miyamoto Shigeru, took much of his inspiration from the mountains and temples of Kyoto. And if you travel around Japan, you will encounter this symbol yourself. What does it mean? And why should anyone in the Bujinkan care? Let me explain. The origin story of this symbol is tied with one of the most powerful Shogun and clans in Japanese history. As told in the Taiheiki 太平記, Hojo Tokimasa went on a pilgrimage of fasting and prayer to the island of Enoshima. While he was in one of the Iwaya Caves, the Goddess Benzaiten ap...

Kage No Keiko: Don't Ask a Shadow for Answers

Photo by OiMax There is an old tale about a teacher whose students asked him, "Where does your teaching come from?  What is its source?  Who is your teacher?" The teacher replies, You are not ready for my answer.  If I say that my teaching is from inspiration, you will consider me crazy.  If I say it is my own teaching and skill, some will worship me and never learn.  If I name my teacher, many will turn to him to ask the same dumb questions while ignoring real study. In the Bujinkan, Hatsumi Sensei has told us that training is a process of developing the eyes to be able to see true budo. Hatsumi Sensei talks about different types of keiko or training, even in dreams.  He says that when he is training intensely, he will have weird dreams.  He tells this story about his teacher Toshitsugu Takamatsu, He would draw from 5:00 a.m. to noon every day.  One day, he painted a picture of a dragon for his friend.  A few nights later, my teacher...