Skip to main content

Do you sacrifice to train in Bujinkan?

I do.  Sometimes it is a tough choice.

I am invited to a concert.  Crap, it's the same night as class.

I need to upgrade my computer.  But, it's time for a Japan trip.  Only enough $$ for one.

I am invited to two seminars in the same month.  Usually I have to gauge the bang for the buck to decide.

I am too tired/cold/sore/bummed etc. for training.  But I go anyway.

I am frustrated with my teacher or my progress.  "Keep going" as Sensei says.

I could make a much longer list.  It's very easy to let life get in the way of training.  The sacrifices can be small, or quite large.  And it's different for everyone.

I was having dinner with my friend Paul Masse, and he was talking about his first years in Japan.  As he put it, "Living in a broom closet.  Eating bulk rice and fish.  Wearing the same worn and threadbare clothes for years."  But he went to training.  He could have chosen not to, and bought some clothes.  I think he described this on his blog  (see my links).

One year I was in Japan talking to friend that had journied there fom Mexico.  It's funny, I speak more Spanish in Japan sometimes than I do here in L.A.  My friend told me that with the exchange rate, going to ONE of Sensei's classes was the same cost as THREE MONTHS of classes for him in Mexico.

 I have gone to class when I was:  injured; broke; on the verge of divorce; during finals; homeless; without a ride home; on Sept. 11; after the death of a family member, friend, and pets; on my birthday; in the rain; ... you name it, I've done it in over 20 years of training.

You might say I was crazy for placing training so high in my life.  But, training has helped me through all these things.  The benefits of training have informed my life and helped me to face these obstacles in a way that can not be quantified.  In a way that I value.

Do you have a similar list?

Comments

  1. I definitely feel I have sacrificed/am sacrificing a lot for training. I moved out here to santa monica 4 years ago for the sole purpose of training regularly with Michael. It was a very tough decision moving from Santa Barbara, which is the only place i've ever lived, to the Los Angeles area. though not too far from home...this area is much different in many ways. I have never liked big cities and it took a while for me to adapt. I have the opportunity to live rent free in a really nice city, but choose instead to rent a living room in a noisy neighborhood where i don't get good sleep. I can honestly say I feel sleep deprived every class i attend, but still try to go. In addition, i have not been able to go to school full time to get a degree for fear it will interfere with training, and in the four years i've been down here have not had a single job that i could honestly say i liked. I think for me it would be depressing to have nothing on a deeper level to dedicate my life to, though, and I will continue to make the sacrifices as long as I need to, for making them is a lesson in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, i just want to say that sometime, it's very difficult for our familly to understand why we are so immerged into bujinkan. This post maybe will can help to explain, but, if you don't live it, i think you can't really understand. Thanks to try to explain it.
    Nico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family can't even pronounce "Bujinkan" - and they definitely have no clue why I do it. Many people in America see martial arts as a child's hobby that is silly to continue as an adult.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bujinkan Daikomyosai Party and Training Themes from Japan

What are the current Bujinkan Themes? For my second week of Japan training, I begin with a visit to 上野東照宮 Ueno Tōshōgū. This shrine was built in 1627, and enshrines Tokugawa Ieyasu. I have visited many times, but they did an extensive remodel a few years ago. This was my first time going beyond the 唐門 Karamon and into the grounds. The entire 本殿 Honden is covered in gold leaf and looks spectacular with the gingko leaves fluttering down around me. Michael Glenn at 上野東照宮 Ueno Tōshōgū Later that night, I arrived a bit early for Nagase Sensei’s class. He had moved the class time back 45 minutes so I took the opportunity to review my notes from the prior class. He has been working with 十方折衝 juppō sesshō and the directions for 天地人 Tenchijin and the sanshin within it. He described many aspects of Tenchijin. He would control his opponent at three points, high, middle, and low. He told us the Ten direction is 天照大御神 Amaterasu ōmikami. The Chi direction is 国常立尊 Kunitokotachi no mi

The Sound of Bujinkan 変化 Henka

One Friday night back in the old Honbu Dojo, Hatsumi Sensei moved to a very high level of training right from the start. After he asked someone to demo, he immediately went into counter attacks using his fingertips. And he said to be playful. Hatsumi Sensei painted and hung a scroll in the corner of the dojo. He did this every year to express the yearly theme. This year it was 神韻武導 Shin'in Budō . You can read this as Budō of exceptional artistry. Or, when you look at the characters for Shin'in, it could be a Budō that expresses the sound of the heart, the soul, or even  the kami. 神韻武導 Shin'in Budō, Bujinkan Honbu. photo Michael Glenn   Earlier that afternoon, I had made a pilgrimage of sorts to visit 矢切の渡し Yagiri-no-Watashi. The ferry that has been taking passengers across the Edo river for nearly 400 years. The Tokugawa shogunate did not build bridges over rivers to protect Edo. Ferry boats leading to the highway were strictly controlled, but ferries for farmers who had fa

Japan Report One 令和5年

Every Bujinkan trip I make to Japan feels like a gift. And I always share that with you all in my Japan reports. This trip, I decided to video a lot. Like every day. So there will be quite a few of these. The only issue is that it takes me time to edit all of this video, so these Japan reports may spread out into next year. The first video is here:  Japan Report One 令和5年 The first day of any Bujinkan trip to Japan starts with a marathon. 20 hours of travel by Plane train, and automobile. Also, a lot of walking with a heavy backpack up and down stairs, through airports and train stations, and of course to the Honbu Dojo! Because I’m crazy, I arrived at the airport and went straight to Noguchi Sensei’s class. The class was smallish, maybe 20 people. I was a little shaky on my feet so I slammed some milk tea to get my energy back up. I partnered with Mario From Croatia. Noguchi began with 中伝之捌型 Chūden no Sabaki Gata from 高木揚心流 Takagi Yoshin Ryū. He put a lot of focus into what the opposit